At Mundra UMPP, Safety has been adopted as a core value rather than a simple priority. CGPL is committed to ensuring zero harm to its employees, contractors and the communities in which it operates. This is integral to the Company's business processes and it is focusing on continual improvement in the areas of health and safety across its operations. Some of the safety initiatives are listed below:
- Safety and security best practices were created keeping in mind the demands of all levels of workforce and were incorporated from the start of the construction phase of the project. This has been further supplemented through proper implementation of focused safety initiatives.
- Employees start their day by taking the Safety Pledge.
- "No Supervision, No work" policy.
- "Khushboo Suraksha ki" programmes through AAKAR (NGO) which conducts group discussions, safety skits, screening of safety feature films etc.
- Safety Intervention Audit Team (SIAT) comprising of 10 members from different line functions led by a senior CGPL manager who conducts area-wise audits daily.
Safety Intervention Audit Team
Employees taking the safety pledge
Safety induction for employees
To cater to its medical needs, CGPL decided to have a dedicated medical facility at site. These facilities were built over a period of time. The dispensary started in a port-a-cabin and now CGPL has a full-fledged 4 bedded occupational health centre, "ICU on wheels" and one smaller ambulance for speedy evacuation. The Company's medical teams cater to needs of all stakeholders i.e. its staff, labour at site and neighbours.
CGPL runs round the clock medical facilities at following locations:
- 4-bedded occupational Health Centre at site.
- 2-bedded Medical Centre at Labour Colony.
- 4-bedded Medical Centre at Staff Township (which will be augmented later).
For other locations where the CGPL staff resides, the Company has made arrangements with reputed hospitals. Collaborative arrangements are also in place with all reputed /speciality hospitals in the vicinity.
Workmen Health Services
The following services are provided:
- Round the clock medical facility is provided at labour colony to cater to around 10,000 labourers.
- Treating of labourers is also undertaken at the Project occupational health centre.
Apart from above curative measures, the following preventive measures have also been taken:
- Pre-employment medical check-up of all workmen before they are issued gate-passes.
- Medical fitness check-up for specific jobs e.g. working at heights.
- Arranging prevention camps for various diseases e.g. Malaria etc.
- Arranging health awareness sessions for various diseases e.g. AIDS, Malaria, Typhoid etc.
- Ensuring that all major contractors have basic medical facilities and first-aid facilities at the work place.
- Providing special 'mother-child' medical care facilities.
Preventive and awareness camps are organized for villagers of neighbouring areas. They are treated at CGPL medical facilities. Apart from providing medical facilities, CGPL medical team also provides the following services:
- Arranging first-aid training for employees.
- Medical audit of staff canteen.
- Assisting staff in medical emergencies.
- Arranging blood donation camps in association with other organizations.
Polio vaccination at labour camp
Safety displays - excavation safety
Safety rally during Safety Week
Eye check-up camp